First, let us look at how fraud is defined:
- Fraud is both a crime and a civil law violation. In criminal law; fraud is the offense of deliberately deceiving another in order to damage them. To obtain property or services unjustly. Fraud can be accomplished through the aid of forged objects. It may be called “theft by deception”, “larceny by trick,” “larceny by fraud and deception” or something similar.
- A deception practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain. Any act, expression, omission, or concealment that deceives another to his or her disadvantage; specifically, it is:
– A misrepresentation, omission or concealment of some fact material to a transaction.
– It is made with knowledge (or the reasonable expectation that the perpetrator should know) that it is false or is made in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity.
- It is made with the intent to deceive another.
- It is reasonably relied on by the other who is thereby injured.